Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day Three: Another Day in the Golan.

Hey there! Eric Tapper here to recant the wondrous journey of our third touring day in Israel (fourth of the trip). After breakfast in Thai Village, we hopped aboard our chariot driven by the skilled Moshe (I did not think buses could make such tight turns) and drove to the Tel Dan Nature Reserve. We were surrounded by greenery that painted a lush background for the beautiful azure water rushing by us as we walked. Yoni informed us of the importance of the land at various checkpoints throughout the reserve. We then made our way to Mount Bental in the Golan Heights. Here sat a former Israeli bunker that was as dark and grey as the sun was blazing hot. Our soldier Yair told us that modern living quarters are not really all that different. At this vantage point, we were able to look out on where Israel ends and Syria begins. A surreal moment in which I made the connection of having only looked at the Arab land on a map and then it being no more than a few miles in front of me. There was an eerie realness to be in such close proximity to a place that up to this point, for me, has only been substantiated by the American media. To add to the drama of situation, I was facing a rather difficult decision. I had packed a lunch of a makeshift sandwich comprised of Thai Village's breakfast spread while before me was a falafel shop. "Which should I eat?" I asked myself. Unable to find solace in either option, I went for both. On to the kayaking! Or rafting, more accurately. The 995 fleet had four to six members in each of its vessels as we navigated the treacherous tributary of the Jordan River. Why treacherous? Was it the violent water? No, the water was quite calm. Was it the jagged rocks jutting out helter skelter? Nein! The trip was mostly smooth sailing. It was... the children. Armed with water guns and a passion for splashing passerby's. Greg and I navigated our boat artfully so, and long story short, we were dripping with finesse by the time our expedition came to a close. In addition to our now-chiseled triceps, the zip line directly into the river was a solid reward for our efforts. Needless to say, I slept like a baby and am now well rested as we are currently making our way to the ancient city of Jerusalem. Stay tuned! -Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment